Tofu Katsu Curry Recipe
Tofu Katsu Curry is one of my unsurpassed most loved dinners and I will consistently arrange it on the off chance that I see it on the menu! If you don't structure a katsu curry at Wagamama's, I don't know we can be companions. Simply joking we can, on the off chance that you make this one!
What is katsu sauce produced using?
This Tofu Katsu Curry sauce begins by searing onion, garlic, ginger, and carrot. At that point comes the flavors, mirin (Japanese sweet wine), tomato puree, soy sauce, and vegetable stock.
The sauce is most likely my number one piece of this curry and I'll generally arrange an additional side of it. As I would like to think, you can never have a lot of sauce, particularly when it tastes this great.
When the sauce has stewed, you'll rush it until smooth, or stout like it as such. Next comes the breaded tofu. This is the piece of the formula that is a smidgen all the more fiddly and chaotic.
You'll need to utilize additional firm tofu for this, you don't need delicate tofu that will break separated. In case you're in the UK I purchase the Tofoo additional firm tofu.
On the off chance that you cannot locate any additional firm tofu, ensure you crush out as much water as possible with a tofu press. On the other hand, you could utilize seitan which will give to a greater extent a substantial surface.
In three separate dishes, you'll put flour, plant milk, and panko breadcrumbs. The cut of tofu gets covered in flour, at that point milk, and afterward breadcrumbs.
This is the place where it might get somewhat chaotic so you can either utilize a spoon to help or utilize various hands for the wet and dry fixings.
When the tofu is covered it's an ideal opportunity to broil them! You'll warm some vegetable oil (I use rapeseed) on medium-high warmth in a griddle.
When it's hot you can put the tofu in, I did two all at once. Following a couple of moments on each side, it ought to be earthy colored and fresh.
To broil the sides, utilize some utensils to painstakingly turn the tofu, it should remain on its side. If not hold it there for a few minutes until it is brilliant and fresh all finished!
What about rice?
For the rice, I utilized basmati however you could likewise utilize sushi rice, earthy colored rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice for something lighter! This formula serves 4 even though I certainly could eat two servings in one!
To spare time, you can make this katsu curry sauce early. It will save for 3-4 days in a water/air proof holder in the ice chest, or you could make a major group and freeze it.
In case you're thinking the breaded tofu is too tedious (it is justified, despite all the trouble I guarantee) and you need a less difficult and snappier elective you could utilize some vegetarian 'chicken tenders. Quorn, Fry's, and most markets do possess brand ones.
Tofu Katsu Curry Ingredients
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- Inch of ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp mirin (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 550ml vegetable stock
- 550g additional firm tofu
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 50ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Rice of decision (sushi, basmati, earthy colored)
- 2 spring onion
- New coriander
- Discretionary - side serving of mixed greens
- Warmth a tbsp of oil in an enormous griddle on medium warmth. Finely dice the onion and add.
- Mix and let cook for a couple of moments, at that point add the squashed garlic, ground ginger and stripped and cut carrot.
- Let this cook for 5 minutes at that point add the curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric. Mix and cook for a further moment.
- Add the mirin, soy sauce, tomato puree, and vegetable stock and leave to stew for 10-15 minutes. The carrot ought to be delicate.
- Move to a blender or utilize a hand blender to rush until smooth, around 30 seconds.
- Spot it back in the skillet on low warmth and leave for some other time. On the off chance that you need the sauce somewhat more slender, add some additional water.
- In three separate dishes place the flour, milk, and breadcrumbs. Season the breadcrumbs with some salt and pepper.
- Cut the tofu into 4 cuts so they are rectangular fit as a fiddle. Utilize a paper towel to wipe them off.
- Spot the tofu into the flour, at that point the milk, and finally the breadcrumbs. Ensure they are all around covered at each stage. Tenderly shake off overabundance breadcrumbs and spot to the side until every tofu cut is covered.
- In a skillet add 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil on medium-high warmth. When hot, place the breaded tofu in, each or two in turn contingent upon the size of your container. Fry on each side for a couple of moments until brilliant earthy colored. To broil the sides, utilize some utensils to painstakingly flip the tofu onto its side until brilliant earthy colored all finished. Spot on some kitchen paper to absorb any overabundance of oil.
- While the tofu is cooking, cook the rice as indicated by parcel guidelines.
- Cut the breaded tofu slantingly utilizing a sharp blade and present with the rice and curry sauce.
- Top with some new coriander, cut spring onion, and a side plate of mixed greens!