Skillet Lemon Parmesan Chicken Zucchini and Squash
Odds are on the off chance that you're growing a nursery or live by somebody growing a nursery, at that point directly about now you have a lot of zucchini and squash you have to go through. This sound chicken formula is the ideal use for it!
My sibling, sister, and relative all have gardens (I'm bombing this year, some time or another I have to make the time a grow a genuine article garden. A year ago I had one little box garden, I felt entirely cool) however they are for the most part liberally sharing such a great amount from their nurseries (much obliged!).
My sibling was simply revealing to me how rapidly the zucchini and squash develop and he said he planted too much, so fortunate for me I get a lot of them as well. This skillet chicken formula will be another go-to use for all the mid-year squash and zucchini for me.
This lemon Parmesan chicken formula is about as simple as it gets! Simply some snappy dicing for prep, at that point the chicken cooks in around 6 minutes and you put that in a safe spot and in a similar skillet saute the zucchini and squash for around 4 minutes.
This is how you do basic weeknight suppers! Simply be mindful so as not to overcook the veggies as they will go from entirely delicate to mush in what appears the flicker of an eye.
I can't get enough of this rich herb and lemony, garlic-Parmesan flavors! Make it soon, you'll be happy you did!
Lemon Parmesan Chicken Ingredients
For the chicken and zucchini skillet, you’ll need:
· Chicken breasts
· Olive oil
· Salt and pepper
· Herbs and spices (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder)
· Lemon zest and juice
· Yellow squash
· Shredded Parmesan
· Fresh parsley
How to Cook Chicken in a Skillet
· Season diced chicken with herbs, spices and lemon zest, then cook in hot skillet with olive oil and butter.
· Transfer cooked chicken to plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
· Sauté zucchini and squash in that same skillet, seasoning with the same blend of herbs and spices.
· Return chicken to pan and drizzle in lemon juice. Sprinkle on Parmesan and garnish with fresh parsley, then toss to combine.
· Serve with your choice of rice, orzo, pasta, and more!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead of Breasts?
Yes, you can use any cut of chicken you’d like here. I prefer using boneless, skinless chicken in this recipe, but feel free to use whatever you see fit.
Just keep in mind that you may need to adjust the cook time slightly depending on how large you dice the chicken and what cut of meat you use.
Can I Add More Veggies to This Chicken Skillet?
Of course! Lemon Parmesan chicken pairs well with almost any vegetable. I recommend using seasonal produce that cooks at roughly the same rate as the zucchini and squash (that way you’re not having to take ingredients in and out of the skillet to accommodate different cook times).
Tips for the Best Skillet Chicken and Veggies
· Before cooking the chicken, dab it dry — preferably on both sides — and use a hot skillet. Try to give the pieces some space so you can get that nice golden brown sear for added flavor.
· Use shredded Parmesan cheese for the best texture and flavor, and not the cheese that comes in a shaker can.
· Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the brightest, freshest flavor.
· 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite size pieces
· 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
· 2 Tbsp butter, divided (or more olive oil)
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 3 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
· 1 tsp garlic powder*, divided
· 1/2 tsp onion powder
· 1 tsp lemon zest, plus more for serving
· 10 oz. (2 small) zucchini, sliced and halved if wider
· 10 oz. (2 small) yellow squash, sliced and halved if wider
· 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan, or more to taste
· 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
· 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Dab chicken dry with paper towels. Season with a fair amount of salt and pepper, 2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, onion powder and lemon zest then toss to coat (I just added the seasonings to the chicken on the cutting board). Melt butter in pan with olive oil then add chicken and cook 3 minutes then flip and cook opposite side until chicken has cooked through (center of larger pieces should register 165 degrees), about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and squash, then season with salt, 1 tsp Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Cook tossing occasionally until just tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Return chicken to pan with zucchini and squash. Drizzle in lemon juice and toss. Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley. Serve warm with more parmesan and lemon zest if desired (I served mine over cooked orzo which is delicious).
· *1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic may be substituted. Add half of it to the chicken halfway through cooking and add half to the zucchini/squash when added to the skillet.
· Recipe source: Cooking Classy