ABOUT THESE SPINACH BALLS:
The first great thing about these spinach balls, especially in summer time, is that they are terrific fresh out of the oven, but also absolutely fantastic as they cool to room temperature. Meaning the last one is going to taste just as fabulous as the first one.
The next great thing about these spinach balls is that you can roll them a couple hours in advance and bake them right before your guests arrive.
They’re really quite easy to make. I used fresh spinach but you could use thawed frozen spinach to take a step out of the equation. In order to perfectly portion them and speed up the ball rolling process, I used one of my favorite kitchen tools, a . It’s great for cookies, of course, but it’s also perfectly suited for meatballs, spinach balls, and .
HOW TO MAKE KETO SPINACH BALLS?
- · Spinach – fresh or frozen, both will work well. Always measure spinach once cooked, drained and chopped for precision.
- · Eggs
- · Grated mozzarella – any hard grated cheese would work, but mozzarella creates the most impressive cheesy effect
- · Almond flour – or almond meal if you prefer
- · Whole psyllium husk – husk is 100% fiber, it gives a chewy texture to the balls and holds the ingredients together into a lovely round shape. Don’t use metamucil fiber supplement in my recipes, this is not the same product as whole psyllium husk fiber. Metamucil is a husk powder that is not suitable for baking keto bread. It will turn food dry, purple or blue.
- · Fresh herbs – it’s optional but highly recommended to boost the flavor. The best herbs are parsley or cilantro (aka coriander).
- · Garlic salt – or fresh garlic and salt but I’m lazy sometimes and both result in a delicious spinach ball
HOW TO MAKE MY ORIGINAL SPINACH BALLS?
AN EASY, NO-FAIL RECIPE
HOW TO FREEZE AND MAKE AHEAD YOUR APPETIZER?
These are perfect appetizers to make ahead for Christmas or any party. Follow the steps below to freeze them with success.
- · Lay the the balls, uncooked, on a plate covered with parchment paper
- · Leave half a thumb of space between each ball to prevent them from sticking together
- · After an hour, transfer into an airtight plastic box
It’s clearly your BEST alternative to potato chips for your next party!
KETO SPINACH BALLS RECIPE
3. Spinach measurement : you need about 6 cups of fresh spinach. It makes about 2/3 cup (160 g) of cooked, squeezed and packed spinach. It is ok to use frozen spinach as soon as you have 2/3 cup cooked, squeezed, packed spinach.
4. Cheese options: you can replace grated cheddar but mozzarella, parmesan, colby, emmental or any hard grated cheese you love.
5. Herbs options: those spinach balls are very tasty with fresh parsley, dill or basil. Use your favorite herb or mix it!
6. Psyllium husk: don't use metamucil fiber supplement in my recipes, this is not the same product as whole psyllium husk fiber. Metamucil is a husk powder that is not suitable for baking keto bread. It will turn food dry, purple or blue.