EASY HOMEMADE APPLE CRISP
This is a classic old fashioned dessert that makes you feel all warm and cozy! Made with fresh sliced apples coated in a cinnamon-brown sugar, then topped with cinnamon oat topping. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and
EASY HOMEMADE APPLE CRISP
One thing that’s so great about apple crisp is how it is to put together. The filling is similar to an apple pie, yet it takes less than half the work and you don’t have to bother with pie crust. Instead, it’s got a great oat topping made with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. It reminds me a bit of streusel, but a little crispier and with oats.
Then there’s the filling. I prefer an apple mixture that has enough juiciness to it, but isn’t too soupy. This apple crisp has a little bit of flour added, which helps makes it more of a nice sauce that coats the apples and isn’t too thin.
The Best Apple Crisp Recipe
Could there be a better treat this time of year? Especially this time of year with the abundance of fresh apples in season. Plus, I love that this easy apple crisp doesn’t take as much work as an apple pie, but it has similarly delicious flavors.
This homemade apple crisp is packed with fresh, juicy apples that are perfectly sweetened and baked until perfectly tender. And don’t even get me started on that crumb topping! It’s crispy, golden brown, buttery perfection.
Trust me, this apple crisp will be the highlight of any meal. I mean if I had it my way this would be the main meal :).
Easy Apple Crisp Ingredients
- · ½ cup All-purpose flour
- · Old fashioned rolled oats
- · ½ cup Light brown sugar
- · Baking powder
- · ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- · ¼ tsp Salt
- · Unsalted butter
- · Granny Smith apples
- · Lemon
- · Vanilla extract
How to Make Apple Crisp
· Adjust oven rack and preheat oven. Butter baking dish.
· In a mixing bowl whisk together 1/2 cup flour, oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, baking powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt.
· Rub butter into dry mixture with fingertips until it comes together into small crumbles. Refrigerate.
· In a bowl whisk together melted butter and flour until well blended, then mix in water, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and pinch of salt.
· Toss apples with butter mixture in a bowl then pour into prepared baking dish.
· Sprinkle with crumble apple crisp topping.
· Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and apples are tender.
· Let cool slightly before serving.
What Are the Best Apples for Apple Crisp?
I prefer using a sturdy cooking apple that’s slightly tart, like Granny Smiths. Other apples would work, like braeburn or golden delicious, but sugar amounts and bake times might need to be adjusted.
Your apples should also be room temperature (this ensures that they bake evenly in the oven).
What Should I Serve on Top?
The best way to serve this always with vanilla ice cream. Then for an added bonus if you have time make some homemade salted caramel sauce.
Tips for the Best Apple Crisp
· Be sure to slice your apples thinly so they become fully tender. No one wants a crunchy apple in their apple crisp.
· Stick with granny smith apples for consistent results.
· If you only have salted butter on hand, reduce the salt in the topping to 1/8 tsp and omit the salt in the filling.
· Serve this homemade apple crisp freshly baked and warm. It will be okay for a couple of days, but the topping does start to soften up so I like it best fresh.
Crisps and crumbles are one of my favorite desserts because I love fruit and I’m head over heals crazy for a good sweet, crisp topping.
Plus, I love that they are faster than pies and you don’t have to wait 2 hours for pie crust to chill, then 2 hours for the pie to cool.
This is what fall weekend are all about! Walks through the autumn trees where you’re all bundled up cozy, warm apple cider and hot cocoa, pumpkin patch shopping and carving, and this easy apple crisp. It’s a must!