Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole can be made low carb or with the amazing crescent roll crust! either way, its incredibly delicious, cheesy and flavorful!
If you’re drowning in zucchini, an easy zucchini gratin recipe is the perfect way to use up a good amount. This low carb cheesy zucchini casserole requires three medium zucchini in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, but you can easily double (or even triple!) the recipe to make more in a larger pan!
For now, despite no garden, I still have a zucchini problem. It’s my own fault, too. I just couldn’t resist buying way too much at the farmers’ market.
What You Will Need to Make Cheesy Baked Zucchini Casserole:
· – Grow your own, pick it up at the local farmer’s market, or grab some at the grocery store. If you want a little variety, you can mix in some yellow squash too. For this recipe buy the thickest zucchini you can so you get nice, big, round slices to layer into your casserole.
· – This adds a little more flavor to the dish, and onion goes so well with the slightly nutty flavor of the Gruyere cheese.
· – No recipe is complete without a little garlic. Mixed with the onions it adds just the right amount of flavor.
· – This makes the cheese sauce thick, creamy, and totally amazing. You can find it in the diary section of the grocery near the milk. Sometimes it is referred to as heavy whipping cream.
· – For this recipe, you’ll use Gruyere cheese and Parmesan cheese. If you can’t find Gruyere, you can substitute Swiss cheese, and of course, you can always substitute low-fat or nonfat cheese if you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY BAKED ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE:
1. In a baking dish place the prepared zucchini slices in rows one on top of another until the dish is filled. Set dish aside.
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat saute the diced onions with the butter, cooking them until they begin to soften.
3. Add minced garlic and continue cooking for 2 minute to slightly soften it.
4. Pour the heavy cream into the pan stirring until it begins to bubble.
5. Add the Parmesan cheese and Gruyere cheese to the heavy cream, onions, and garlic. Stir together until the cheese melts.
6. Pour the cheese sauce over the zucchini spreading it evenly over the zucchini.
7. Cover the casserole dish with foil and place in the oven and bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes. Then remove the foil, top with the remaining Gruyere and Parmesan cheese and bake for 5 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the zucchini is tender.
8. Remove from oven and serve.
HOW THICK SHOULD THE ZUCCHINI SLICES BE?
HOW TO KEEP YOUR ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE FROM BEING WATERY
This simple baked zucchini casserole recipe is a great recipe for using up all of that amazing summer zucchini. I love this recipe because it is made with just a few simple ingredients so the flavor of the fresh zucchini isn’t lost and it’s also keto!